Monday, July 03, 2006

Bad and Good News

The bad news is that last night I started feeling some soreness in my upper left quad. I figured it was just from running long after two easy weeks. However, today my leg was not only stiff, but it was painful to walk. I felt the pain each time I moved my left leg forward. It felt like I strained a muscle. I guess pushing the pace in mile 14 after running nothing but easy miles for awhile wasn't the smartest thing to do.

The good news is that I was able to run today without too much pain. The beginning of today's run was ugly, and I almost turned around and headed home after running less than half a mile. Stubbornness and the fact that the pain wasn't getting worse kept me going. After a mile or so, the pain was pretty mild, and eventually I forgot all about it. Tonight my leg isn't sore like it was last night. I can feel a tightness, but it's not painful. Hopefully a few days at an easy pace will get me back to 100%. During today's run I had plans to care for it with alternating ice and heat, but I was running late, so I showered immediately after getting home and then forgot to take care of my leg. I'll try to do better after tomorrow's run.

10.5 miles in 1:26:55.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

During today's run I had plans to care for it with alternating ice and heat...

Now that would be interesting to see.

I'm not an expert but you have to make sure that heating is the correct thing to do at this point of the injury. Icing may be all you need. Heating causes blood flow to increase, which may be the opposite of what you want.

6:38 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

You're probably right. Alternating heat and ice was what I was taught way back in school. Right or wrong, it seems like the first lessons you learn stay with you the longest.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I know contrasting heat and ice can be good treatment, but I think it matters on the type of injury and where you're at in the healing process. Again, I'm no expert, but it'd be pretty easy to google and find some info.

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home