Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I Finally Ran

After four days of doing nothing, I finally ran on Tuesday evening. It was a short (5 mile) run at an easy pace. I didn't wear a watch, so I don't really know how long it took me. The main goal for this run was too see if it would be painful to continue running. I'm happy to say that he pain was minimal. It didn't hurt where I have stitches -- on the roof of my mouth and on my gums. The only pain I had was on the inside of my cheek. I was numb enough during the surgery that I can't say what exactly they did, but the inside of my cheek is bruised. It feels like I bit my cheek. When I ran, each time my left foot hit the ground, the impact made it feel like someone was poking the bruised part of my gum. Annoying, but not painful enough to affect my running.

One reason that I was able to run tonight was that I continued to take my pain meds. I don't like to take pills for pain unless I'm in really in agony. The last couple of days, I've taken a pain pill before work (at approximately 7:30), and I could feel the effects wearing off by 1:30. Yesterday, I waited until bedtime to take another pain pill. Today, I took another pain pill as soon as I got home from work, and was feeling okay (not great, but okay) when I headed out the door two hours later. Anyway, if I take my pills like I'm supposed to, I should be able to continue running.

Tomorrow is our monthly fun run at work. I plan on running that and then running a longer, slower run in the evening. I should log between 13 and 15 miles for the day. My goal is to run everyday for the rest of the week and get above 50 total miles for the week.

I go back to the dentist on Friday. He'll take off the bandages, which look like putty, that are covering my gums on the left side of my mouth and remove the stitches. Hopefully, after that I'll be able to eat again. I tried a PB&J sandwich at lunch today. I ate it, but it hurt trying to chew. Not only is my mouth sensitive, but my face is still swollen, which makes chewing difficult. For now, oatmeal, apple sauce, pasta, baked potato, pudding and ice cream are my food choices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home