Thursday, August 03, 2006

A Good Tired

My favorite part of running is racing. However, my next favorite is probably that feeling I get when I'm finishing up a workout and my legs are just starting to tire, but my lungs still feel good; and I know have more miles to give if necessary. I feel the satisfaction of running a good workout; I can feel the muscles working and know that I am pushing my body to improve. That's how I felt today on the way home from my run. I ran twelve miles at a fairly easy effort, averaging a 7:47 pace. I realize that this wasn't a great workout by any means, but it felt great. I don't know if this makes sense, but it felt like my body was telling me that it's ready to work and that PRs are mine for the taking. Now I just need to bring mind and body together and do the work.

Since my last post I ended up not running on Tuesday because time got away from me. The plan was for my wife and I to make a quick run to the store to buy me some new running shoes and get a pair of jeans for my daughter. We were thinking we could knock this out in an hour or so, and that I'd be running by 6:30 at the latest. Then it turned out that my daughter was going to join us. This quick errand, turned into a 2.5 hour full-on shopping trip. First we had to stop to look at the cats that were up for adoption at the pet store next to the sporting goods shop. Then my daughter had to try on five or six pairs of jeans before she could find a pair that she could live with. I don't know if this is the way it works with all females or if it's just my daughter, but trying on clothes, especially jeans, is an event for her. When I try on jeans, I slip them on, feel how the fit in the waist, check the length, consider how much they'll shrink in the wash, and make my decision. The whole process, takes less than two minutes per pair of pants (not including taking off my shoes and the pants I wore to the store). I honestly have no idea everyting that my daughter does when she tries on pants, but I would guess that each pair of pants is on her for at least five minutes. Not only does she have to see how they feel, but she has to look at herself in the mirror from every angle, she has to have my wife look at her from every angle, and then she has to go back and look at herself again while considering what my wife said about the pants. Plus I think she may dance around just to watch herself in the mirror. Anyway, we finally got the pants, but we didn't get home until after 7:30. I was tired and frustrated, and I didn't run.

On Wednesday, I wasted the early evening. I ended up running 5.5 miles because I once again started late. There was no real reason for the late start. I sat down after work and started watching a ball game for an inning or so, and the next thing I know it's 7:00. Anyway, I'm sure the off day followed by the easy day certainly helped with my energy level on today's run. The good news is that this week all but doesn't count for me. As I mentioned before, if I get to Sunday rested and ready to run, then this week was a success.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

The shopping trips with my daughters are still a ways off.

Note to self: get run in before shopping with daughters.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

One of the perks for you morning runners is that you get to avoid these types of scheduling conflicts. On the other hand, you get up at an ungodly hour.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home