Sunday, July 16, 2006

Decent Week

The bad news is that I didn't get my second run in on Saturday and failed to reach 60 miles for the week. I thought I'd be in the 70-mile range, but missing Wednesday and that second run, pushed me back. I've been pretty down on my running lately. It just seems that I haven't been able to get motivated enough to stay consistent. However, during Saturday's run, I was thinking about where I'm at, and it put things in perspective for me. So far this year, I'm averaging 60 miles a week. I've had weeks of over 80 miles. I PR'd a marathon by 24 minutes. Last year, I was running between 40 and 50 miles a week, and I had no interest in going higher. I've taken a lot of steps forward (no pun intended) since moving back to California. This doesn't mean that I don't have to keep working and get more consistent. It's just that I am doing some things right, and I need to give myself credit, not just focus on the negatives. Positive feedback is also important.

Back to the present. I ran 15 miles today at a 7:21 average pace. These mid-7 minute paces (7:20 - 7:40) seem to be easier to maintain than they were only a few weeks ago. I could run at this pace for awhile, but I used to have to push a bit to get there. Now it seems like I just need to keep mindful of the pace, and I'm there. Of course, getting more sleep lately has helped, also. Speaking of which, it's almost 11:00, so it's time for bed.

One last thing. This week at work will be busy. We have a conference for 40-50 people on Tuesday, and a retirement ceremony on Friday. It may mean more hours for me, but I don't think it will affect my running.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Yeah Bart, keep focusing on the positives. Keep in mind the body may need some time to absorb all that training. Also, if you're running 50-60 miles on your "bad" weeks, you're not losing any fitness.

5:55 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Zeke, you're right, and I know it. If I step back and just looking at the numbers, I can tell I'm doing pretty good. I think just getting more consistent is what I really need to work on. A training plan will help in this area.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home