Friday, October 07, 2005

Finally a Training Plan

Well I finally decided on a training plan. I copied it from this website: Marathon Advantage. The schedule was created by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas and is 18 weeks long with a high of 70 miles a week. Because I was late choosing a schedule, I missed the first week of the schedule, which is okay because the mileage I'm running is comparable to what the schedule calls for.

I adjusted the schedule a bit. I'm already running 20 mile long runs, so I will have one more 20 mile run than is on the schedule; I am planning on running a 5K at the end of December, so I'll change the schedule so that I have a rest day before the race; and I'm cutting the taper a bit so that I'll be better-rested and ready to run race day morning. Also, I arrange my training week from Sunday through Saturday, not Monday through Sunday like they did on the webpage, which affects weekly mileage, but not overall mileage. I'm concerned about my ability to run all the speed workouts listed, but even if I'm reaching a bit, I'm confident that this schedule will get me to marathon day in the great shape.

Today I ran twelve miles at an easy pace. The pace was slower than the effort due to a pretty strong wind. I'll run six easy miles tomorrow and then go long on Sunday.

I'm not happy about the early darkness that is arriving earlier every day. I've never been comfortable running in the dark, and where I run now there are a few areas where the asphalt is buckled by tree roots. It'll be amazing if I make it through the winter without falling on my face. I'm especially not looking forward to doing speed workouts in the dark.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home