Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Speed Work

Today I ran repeats. My total run was just over eight miles. After a slow two mile warm-up, I ran quarter mile repeats with an easy quarter mile in between. I did ten of these repeats and then finished my run at a recovery pace.

These weren’t traditional repeats because I didn’t shoot for a specific time in which to run the quarter mile. Instead what I did was accelerate up to 6:00 minutes/mile pace, hold the pace for 30 seconds and ease off until the quarter mile was completed. Really this speed work was more like strides than repeats. The reason I ran them this way is because I wanted to run fast, but I still don’t have a marathon program for my upcoming marathon (less than 18 weeks away), so I just winged it.

The plan is to run at a recovery pace tomorrow (Thursday), run a tempo run on Friday, run easy on Saturday, and enter Sunday with a training plan that will take me to my race in February. Having two hard workouts will make this week similar to a training week, but without a schedule.

The good news is that my wife and daughter are feeling better today, and it appears that I did not catch whatever they have/had.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home