Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dedication

I didn't run yesterday (Tuesday). I hadn't slept well Sunday night or Monday night, and I just didn't have any energy to get out for a run. I considered forcing myself out the door, but decided not too. The reason was that I knew if I ran, it would get my adreneline flowing, and I'd end up staying up late again. Instead, I rested during the evening, and went to bed relatively early (around 10:15).

Even though I didn't run yesterday, I spent a lot of time thinking about my training and the dedication that I need to show if I want to improve. For a long time, I've improved my times in a number of races because I'm good at getting in my scheduled runs. When training for a specific race, I'm almost a slave to my schedule and my log book. However, mileage will only carry me so far. I'm at a point now, where I'm questioning how fast I want to get and whether or not I have the dedication to get there. It's easy to get a schedule and run what's listed on the schedule. I'm at a point now where I need to show more dedication and take into account how other choices I make will effect my running. Specifically, I'm talking about my diet and my sleeping habits.

In February, I ran the Mardi Gras Half Marathon in 1:27:42, which is a PR for me. Now, only seven months later, I'm 15 pounds heavier and have trouble (even when healthy) maintaining my goal marathon pace for more than a few miles. I spent a week not running due to an injury. I don't know for sure, but it easily could have been caused by training hard while carrying more weight. As far as my sleeping habits go, it's easy to tell when I'm not getting enough rest. Almost everytime my normal/easy training pace slows or I have trouble getting in my scheduled mileage, I can track it back to poor sleeping habits over the previous couple of nights. I run the mileage necessary to reach my immediate goals; but if I don't make smart choices in other areas of my life, will I be able to reach these goals? Right now, I don't think so, and even if I do reach my goals, I'll know that I cheated myself out of reaching my full potential by making poor eating and sleeping choices.

Today I ran four laps around Coast Guard Island during lunch, which is about 5.5 miles. I ran the first two laps with a co-worker at approximately 8:00 minutes per mile pace. The last two laps I ran alone. I decided that since I've been running pain free for the last week or so, I'd push the pace and see how I felt. I ended up running a mile and a half at goal marathon pace (or a bit faster). I felt a little tightness during the run, but nothing too bad. This evening I don't feel any pain. I'm optimistic that I'm over the hump and that as long as I take the time to get in a good warmup, I should be able to run at marathon pace and maybe even do some speedwork now. To start I'll try to run a few miles at marathon goal pace during each of my runs. If that goes well, I'll include a few bursts at a faster speed -- nothing organized or even tracked for my log, just a informal fartlek workout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home