Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Into the Gloaming

My favorite time of day to run is that point between sunset and when it gets dark. It’s bright enough to see, yet the sun isn’t beating down or shining directly into my eyes. Plus, usually it has cooled down a bit and is neither too hot nor too cold. Last night, I was running along the bay near my house and it was perfect. The sun had just set, and I was looking west at a great view of the San Francisco skyline. Not only could I clearly see the buildings (not the norm), but I could see the fog rolling in behind the city. It was one of those times where it’s nice to just be out running without having to worry about training paces or mileage or anything else.

Of course I am training for a race, so most of the time I am thinking about more than the simple act of running. Yesterday, I ran 20 miles. It was my second 20 miler since May. I hope to log at least two more in the next four weeks. By the way, if you ever decide to run an evening 20 miler on a weeknight, don't plan on much family time that evening.

I haven’t heard anything regarding my application for the All-Navy Marathon Team, so I’m still training for the half marathon and trying to run enough miles so that I could step up to the marathon and still run well. Considering that the Marine Corps Marathon is only a little over six weeks away, you’d think a decision on the team would have been made by now. I suspect the people in charge of the process are not marathoners and do not understand the time commitment involved in preparing. Either that or they just didn’t bother the people who weren’t selected.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Nice visual. During my run this morning there was a gorgeous sunrise.

Nice job getting in the 20 - especially on a weeknight.

I have to bandage up my nips for long runs too.

5:45 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

For sunrises, I have to look over an airport, which pretty much kills the beauty. Plus I have to wait for the sun to get above the Oakland hills, so it's been light for awhile before the sun makes an appearance.

I think the only good thing about running long during the week is that the longer you run, the cooler the temps get.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home