Friday, August 25, 2006

Cutback Week

My cutback week ends tomorrow. Wednesday I ran an easy five miles, and Thursday I ran an easy eight miles. Following the eight mile run, I went on a short bike ride (probably 5 miles) with my wife. My legs were pretty lifeless on the five mile run and weren’t much better on the eight miler. The bike ride was at close to my running pace, so it certainly didn’t take anything away from my efforts to cut back.

I had some trouble about six miles into my eight mile run; my feet started to hurt like hell. The pain was caused by the shoes I was wearing, which were a pair of Asics (I don’t know what model they were). I only bought them because they were on sale. I went to Big 5 Sporting Goods because they had the Nike’s I like on sale; however, by the time I got there they had run out of the shoe I wanted. After looking around and trying on a few shoes, I bought the Asics. Ever since I’ve had them, they’ve been fine for short runs, but have started to hurt after 7 or 8 miles. I kept them and used them for short, recovery runs. However, the pain I felt during Thursday’s run was the worst yet. When I got home, I took off the shoes and threw them away. It’s Nikes for me from now on. I know a lot of people don’t like them, but for me they last a long time and feel like they were made for my feet.

After two easy days I felt good going into today's run, which was six miles, including four miles at half marathon goal pace (6:29/mile). This was be a good workout for me considering that I’ll be running a 10K and looking for a PR on Sunday. My goal for the race is to go sub-40 minutes for the first time. To reach this goal I need to run at 6:27 pace; only two seconds faster per mile than today's run. I had hoped today's run would help me decide whether to go for sub-40 or to set my sights a little higher and try for a bigger PR. However, when I ran this afternoon, it was pretty hot, and it was damned windy. Considering the 10K will be run in the morning when it's been cool and calm, I'm not sure today's run was much of a barometer.

The good news is that I was able to stay close to goal pace running the first two miles into the wind (within a couple of seconds per mile), and I more than made up the difference when I turned and ran the final two miles with the wind at my back.

Five easy miles tomorrow, and then next week starts with a race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home