Sunday, August 27, 2006

10K PR and Possible Win

Today was a good day. This morning I set a PR for the 10K, finally breaking the elusive 40-minute mark; and I think I won the race*. There were no prizes other than ribbons for top age group finishers. I know I was first in my age group, but if anyone beat me in the race, they were way in front because I couldn't see anybody ahead of me. I know there were approximately ten guys ahead of me in the first lap, but apparently they were all running the 5K. I'll know for sure if I won when the results are posted to the host running club's website.

My finishing time was 39:40, and I ran a pretty even race. The race was run around a lake which is basically 5K in perimeter. The three races offered were a 5K, 10K, or 15K. As I past the 5K finish and began my second lap around the lake, I heard the timer call out 20 minutes, so I knew I was right on pace to meet my 40-minute goal. It wasn't until I was approximately half way through my second lap that I realized no one was in front of me. I tried not to think about winning and concentrated on holding my pace. Somewhere near the five mile mark, I heard someone come up behind me, and I thought he might pass me, but he never did, and I was able to pull away from him over the last mile. Plus, after the race, I won a gift bag at the raffle, a t-shirt, hat, and some other things from an organization called Girls on the Run. I gave most of the items to my wife and daughter. If my number would have been pulled one prize later, I would have won a comp entry to the San Jose Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon. Not bad for a $4 entry fee. I'll definitely be there next month looking for a 5K PR.

This evening, I headed out again and ran fifteen easy miles, giving me a bit over 22 for the day if you add up my warm-up, race, and evening run. I felt surprisingly good on the long run, and would have stretched it out to a 20 if I had started earlier. The way things worked out, it was getting dark when I wrapped up the 15, so I just headed home.

If I still lived in Louisiana, I would have to run this race half marathon. It would be worth it just to have the t-shirt.

*Follow-up: I didn't win the race. I was third overall. Second place was a minute and a half ahead of me, which explains why I didn't see him. Here are the results (it's the August 4th Sunday race).

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Congrats on the PR and breaking 40. Kind of suck that you may have won and don't even know it. It seems like if you're going to win your first race, you want to know it's happening.

I thought it was kind of weird that you didn't have much of a warmup or cooldown (not counting the 15 in the evening).

5:42 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks for the congrats. It turns out that I didn't win the race. I was third by approximately 90 seconds. With all the turns, it's not surprising that I didn't see the guys in front of me.

I ran a mile for my warmup, but I did not run a cool down. Instead I hung out, cheered the other finishers, and enjoyed some cold water and Gatorade.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home