Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Note on Training Plan

Just a quick post on my training plan. I’m on a 12-week plan. However, instead of a traditional plan that breaks down into stages (x number of weeks of hills, x number of weeks of speed, etc.). My plan alternates these weeks as follows:

Week 1: Run long
Week 2: Speed work
Week 3: Cutback
Week 4: Run long
Week 5: Speed work
Week 6: Run long
Week 7: Cutback
Week 8: Speed work
Week 9: Run long
Week 10: Speed work
Week 11: Taper
Week 12: Taper

During the cutback and taper weeks, I do have some miles at race pace.

The long weeks are in the 80-mile range; the speed work is in the 60s, and the cutback weeks are 50-mile weeks. The average training week is 68 miles, not including the taper weeks. I also plan on running a few easy miles at lunch a couple times a week now that softball is over. These runs will push me north of a 70 miles a week average.

I have no idea whether or not this is an effective way to train. I suspect that it’s not bad but that it’s not the best. I’m confident that if I complete the training and manage the race well, I’ll get a PR, because this will be harder than I’ve ever trained for a half marathon. I may be well-served to find another half marathon early in 2007 that I can race after completing a more traditional training program and see which works better for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home