Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Easy Running and Ironman Championships

After work on Monday, I ran 7.5 miles at a recovery pace. I ran with a watch but without a Garmin, so I wasn't really sure what pace I was running. I was hoping for something in the 8:20 range, and ended up with an average pace of 8:17, so I’m happy. It's always hard for me guess what my average pace will be because I end up running half my run into the wind and half with the wind at my back. There are no calm areas. I checked my pace at a couple of spots where someone has marked quarter mile intervals. Against the wind, I was just over 8:30/mile, and with the wind at my back, I was just over 8:00/mile.

Today, I'm scheduled to run an easy ten miles. In addition to my scheduled training, I decided to try to run a couple of times a week during lunch. Today, I ran 5 easy miles at what turned out to be 8:02 pace. I was surprised by this pace; I thought I would be a bit slower. I guess the recovery pace worked. I’ll probably miss at least one run this week because I’m having dental surgery on Friday. When I had this surgery last time, I didn’t run the day of the surgery and the next day. I’m going to try to only miss the one day this time.

I watched the re-broadcast of the Ironman Championship from Hawaii. I love watching this race. The effort that these competitors put forward is amazing to me. My favorite part is the run. I enjoy this part of the race the most not because I’m a runner, but because you can really tell how each competitor is doing based on their form. In the race they showed this weekend, even though there was a seven-minute difference between the first and second place women, less than ten miles into the run it was clear that the woman in second place was going to win the race just because her form was so strong and the lead woman was clearly struggling.

My next race is an out-and-back half marathon. I should see if I can convince my wife to stand at miles 2 / 11 and videotape me going each direction. It would be interesting to see how my form looks at these two points of the race.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home