Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Fifteen Pain-Free Miles

I didn’t run on Monday. My back was sore all day. Even though I still planned on running, I just couldn’t drag myself outside to get started. Finally I put it off long enough that I convinced myself that it was better for my health if I didn’t run. To be honest, I don’t know if not running helped or not.

On Tuesday I still had back pain. It didn’t feel any better or any worse than it was on Monday, so I figured if it’s not going to get better, I may as well run. I ended up running 15 miles at an average pace of 7:59/mile. I didn’t have any pain when I was running, although my legs were still pretty tired from Sunday’s long run. I had to stop and use the restroom with less than 2 miles to go, and my legs were really stiff when I started running again. I soaked my legs in cold water after yesterday’s run, and I feel pretty good today. As long as I have the discipline to run easy this evening, I should be recovered and ready for the rest of the week.

I’m still planning on getting in 80 miles this week. My plan is:
Sunday – 20 (long run/easy pace)
Monday – 0
Tuesday – 15 (easy pace)
Wednesday – 7.5 (recovery pace)
Thursday – 15 (easy pace)
Friday – 7.5 (recovery pace)
Saturday – 15 (easy pace and maybe a double)

I’m mildly worried over the recent back pains that I’ve had. I’m pretty sure that they are not from running. The first time it hit me it was right after I played volleyball for the first time. This week I'm starting softball, and the back pains are back. I guess my old body is telling me to stick with running and avoid activities that require twisting.

***************

Just a quick add-on. I got in my 7.5 miles this evening. I ran with a watch, but only checked it a couple of times -- once early and again at the halfway point to make sure I wasn't going too fast. I took it easy the entire run, finishing in 1:02:30, which is a 8:20 pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home