Saturday, May 13, 2006

A Second 80-Mile Week

I did get 80 miles for the week again. I ran the second run on Thursday, which gave me 20 total for the day. I then ran 10 slow miles on a windy Friday and ran an 8/7.5 double on Saturday. My total for the week is 81.1 miles.

I don't really have a plan for next week. I would like to hit at least 70 miles / week over the next two weeks. That will give me my first 300-mile month. I'll then take an easy week the last week of May / first week of June before race specific training on 4 June.

I found out this week that I'll have to have two dental surgeries over the next couple of months. I have receding gums, so the periodontist is going to have to take flesh from the roof of my mouth and use it to build up the gums. Because I need this on 13 teeth, they will have to do it over two appointments. Frankly, it didn't seem too bad to me. However, everyone I tell this to, squirms and makes me feel like it will be really painful. I guess time will tell. The bad part is that if it is painful, I'll know what's coming when I go in for the second surgery.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Nice job with the mileage. Keep it rolling.

I have receding gums too. They did this proceedure to me while in boot camp - mainly because I think they wanted a guienie pig, not necessarily that I needed it.

Anyway, I don't remember it being painful. It's one of those things that leaves something different (like some missing skin) in your mouth so your tongue can't stop "thinking" about it.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks for the kind words on the mileage. I don't know if I jumped up to 80 miles too quick or what, but since the second 80-mile week, my energy level is non-existent. I've dropped off to a 5 miler (Sunday) and a 7 miler (Monday). I'm sure today will be better.

I'm not too worried about the dental procedure. I've had some cutting done on my gums before and it wasn't painful at all (except for the novacaine shot).

10:04 AM  
Blogger Chad said...

Bart, I was the same way when I upped my mileage last winter. The first big week I'm like "this isn't that big of deal." However the cummulative affect can/will catch up with you.

Nothing wrong when that happens. Back-off if you need to and then go at it again.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

That's sort of the plan. I've backed off the week that's ending today (Saturday). I'm going to go for another 80-mile week, including a 20-miler next week. The last week of May/beginning of June I'll lower the mileage and run a few faster workouts before beginning Pfitzinger's 18/70 plan on June 4.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home