Thursday, May 11, 2006

Lazy Day Off

After my tough run on Monday, I ran a good ten miler on Tuesday and felt pretty good about how my week was shaping up. However, on Wednesday, I simply didn't feel like doing anything; and unlike Monday when my wife got me out the door, on Wednesday, she basically said don't run if you don't feel like it. I don't know what, if anything, taking the day off means. On one hand it sucks because I was doing well and was looking at another 80-mile week. On the other hand, I got a great night's sleep on Wednesday, which doesn't often happen when I run. It just seems to take me a long time to unwind after a run, and I don't fall asleep until late.

I may still make a run at 80 miles for this week, although with an off day on the books it won't be easy. I don't want to sacrifice next week by logging a ton of miles on Friday and Saturday. I did bounce back with a 15-mile run midday today (Thursday) and am planning an easy recovery run this evening.

I was off from work today. We are having a change of command at my unit. Usually this type of event would mean that I'd be strapping on some type of dress uniform and standing at attention in the sun while the incoming and outgoing commanders give their speeches. However, because my current command is a staff office and the commander is fairly high up in the Coast Guard hierarchy, the regular joes like me were given what is called an "alternate work schedule" so that we don't take all the parking spots and get in the big-wigs way. Instead we are free to do as we please with the caveat that we be available by phone. Really it's a win-win for all concerned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home