Sunday, April 23, 2006

Stanford - Cal T&F Meet

Yesterday I ran an easy 7.5 miles at 7:55 pace. Even though I was concentrating on taking it easy, I thought I would be a bit faster. I guess the 15 miles on Friday took a bit out of me. Whatever, the key is being well-rested for a long run this afternoon.

Yesterday afternoon, I dragged my wife to the Stanford-Cal track meet. It was frustrating getting there, and we had to leave early to get our daughter, but the couple of hours that we spent there were fun. Cal-Berkeley has an event on Earth Day called Cal-Day, so the area around campus was crazy with people yesterday. As a result, it must have taken us 30 minutes to find parking. As a result, we missed the first few events but got there in time for most of the meet. I had a great time watching the races and enjoying the energy of the crowd (even though I didn’t have a rooting interest). The downside was having to leave early. The family who had taken my daughter for the day had a change in their schedule, so my wife and I had to go pick her up. This meant that we had to leave in the middle of the women’s 5000 meters, so we missed the end of that race, the men’s 5000, the 1500s and the relays. What I saw of the women’s 5000 was impressive. I can’t believe how easy these runners appear to be moving. They were cranking along at a 16:30 5K pace, and it looks like they are out for a slow jog. Sadly, this is the last home meet for Cal this year. However, I’ll definitely try to attend more meets next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home