Sunday, January 22, 2006

Another 20

I ran another 20 miler today. I believe this is the first time I've run two, 20-milers in consecutive weeks. I'm feeling good and logging good mileage (three consecutive weeks over 60 miles); however, I haven't run fast in awhile. Since the holidays I've fallen off my schedule as far as hard (fast) workouts go. I'm worried that I've been in a training mode for so long that I've missed my racing window.

Initially, I tried to build up my mileage quickly (12 weeks) so that I could run a marathon in late October. I ended up with a minor injury and skipped that marathon. Next, I started following the Pfiztinger 18/70 plan with a goal of racing the Pacific Shoreline Marathon on Super Bowl Sunday. Well, it is the tenth anniversary of that race, so they're giving away free MP3 players to all marathon finishers. As a result, the race sold out before I registered. Now, I'm looking at racing the Napa Valley Marathon on March 5. This will mean that I'll be on a marathon training plan from August to March. The good news is that I've run a ton of 20-mile runs. The bad news is that I haven't been getting in my speed workouts. I guess the next six weeks will be time to get to work, put up or shut up and all that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Bart, obviously everyone is different, but I wouldn't worry about the pacing too much. A week ago you were running sub-7:30s, which I think is pretty good.

Of course, your marathon is sooner than mine, so we're on different schedules. With 6 weeks to go and your base, I think you can throw in some stronger paced (near MP) runs and still run a great marathon.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home