Saturday, December 31, 2005

Back Home

Last night my daughter Amy and I got back from visiting family in San Diego. We had a short visit. We drove out on Tuesday and left Friday morning. It was great to see my family again, but I was ready to come home. I love visiting San Diego and usually dread leaving, but this trip my wife wasn't able to come down with us, so it just wasn't the same. That's a big problem with her working retail. During the holiday season, she's really tied to her job. On the other hand, her extra hours really help make Christmas jollier from a gift giving standpoint. We're planning another trip down in February for the whole family.

I didn't run much in San Diego. I ran an easy five miles on Wednesday and raced a 5K on Thursday morning. I was planning on running a few easy miles Thursday afternoon, but I ended up hanging out with my family.

The race was the Bumble Seafoods 5K. It was an interesting race because it starts at the beginning of the Holiday Bowl parade, so there are thousands of people cheering at the start. Plus the parade and start of the race are televised nationally, which is really a bad thing because every kid wants to be on television, so they line up right in the front and force everyone to dodge around them.

Anyway, my goals for the race were to at least run a PR (19:13 is my current PR) and best case scenario was to run under 19:00. However, I didn't run well. I ran like this was my first race. I started out too fast and faded at the end. I am really disappointed in my performance. I registered the day of the race, so I got there early. I warmed up okay and while waiting for the start, I kept telling myself to start out easy and build the pace over the first half mile. I wore my Garmin to help me manage the pace. The reality is that I got impatient behind all the kids and dodged and weaved my way past them in the first half mile. After the first half mile I looked down and saw that I was about 20 seconds ahead of my goal pace. I eased up a bit and hit the first mile at 6:01. However, the hard running early took a bit out of me, and all my Garmin was good for after that was to constantly show me how much I was fading. The bottom line is that I finished in 19:26 (a 6:16 pace). The good news is that I won the Military division, although that wasn't really much of a challenge considering the person who came in second was over six minutes behind me. Overall I finished 44th out of over 600 runners. A couple of other possible reasons I didn't run well was the fact that I was sick last week, and I gave blood the week before that. There may have been some carry over. However that doesn't change the fact that I executed a poor race strategy.

Today I'm going to try to ignore the past two weeks of horrible running and get back on schedule for my March marathon. I'll run five easy miles today and then go 17 tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home