Saturday, December 09, 2006

Plans for 2007

I’ve been thinking about my plan for 2007. My original thought was to run higher mileage (70-80/week) through the first couple months of 2007, including running the Napa Valley Marathon as a training run. Mostly I was going to run Napa because I believe the Coast Guard will pay for it. However, while talking with my wife this morning I realized that Napa is being run the same weekend as my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. What I’m going to do instead is not worry about Napa or finding another race to replace it. I will run the Rock ‘n Roll Marathon as my goal race and my first attempt at going under 3 hours.

To get there, I’m going to start running towards the end of this week. Assuming my knee cooperates, I’ll shoot for 25-30 miles the week of December 17. From there I’ll jump to 45-50 miles the next week, and will hopefully enter 2007 with a 60-mile week. Again assuming that I stay healthy, I’ll be in the 80-mile range by mid January and will stay there through February, paying attention to my health and taking at least one cutback week in late January/early February. I’ll take an easy week during the time we travel to Arizona for the anniversary celebration and will start race specific training when I return to the Bay Area.

This schedule will give me time to build a base, ten weeks to add some speed, and a three week taper. I should be able to run 20 miles at least 8 times and build my marathon pace runs up to at least 14 miles, and hopefully to 16 miles, before tapering.

After Rock ‘n Roll and little time to recover, I’ll throw in a few higher mileage weeks and then start working towards a marathon in the fall, preferably nothing before November. I also plan on running a half marathon and a few other shorter races as part of the build up for each marathon, although at this time I’m not sure which other races I’ll run. I'm also going to get a bike and start riding my bike to work and riding a bit longer on the weekend.

Of course all of these plans are extremely tentative and basically rely on my knee not being any worse than the initial diagnosis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home