Monday, November 06, 2006

Working to Improve

I took the first steps towards improvement yesterday. I did better with my eating, and I did a few crunches and push-ups. It wasn’t an impressive workout by the most generous use of the word, but it’s a start. What I did was three sets of 10 push-ups and three sets of 20 crunches. I know it’s not much, but I’m seriously starting from zero for these workouts. My plan is to do this routine five times a week, and add one rep each week. In other words, next week I’ll do three sets of 11 push-ups and 21 crunches, then 12 and 22, etc. If I can stick with it, I’ll get to 25 and 35 reps and then add another set. I guess I should weigh myself and get a point of reference so that I can track any weight loss.

I for one am impressed by Lance Armstrong breaking three hours in his marathon debut. I realize that he had a lot of pacing help that the rest of us will never have, and it was more of an event than a race. Still he ran the entire course and met his goal. I for one didn’t think he’d do it. I figured he be somewhere between 3:05 and 3:10 at best.

Sunday morning I ran 15 easy miles. The first ten sucked. My legs were pretty stiff and sore after doing nothing last week. There is still some stiffness, especially in my hamstrings, at work today. This evening I’m running 10 miles. I’ll keep things at an easy pace until the soreness is gone, and I’m running easy.

4 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

good 4 u in starting the push ups and crunches, it's a good motivator as the results come quick

4:01 PM  
Blogger MB said...

good 4 u in starting the push ups and crunches, it's a good motivator as the results come quick

4:01 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

Bart, I had Lance down for a 3:08. I figured it wouldn't matter what his aerobic capacity was if he didn't have the legs.

I thought it was pretty amazing how much he bulked up compared to when he was biking. He's built.

10:28 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks, Mark. You're right about seeing the results, which makes it easier to stick with it. I need to use the same logic for weightloss -- see some improvement and use that as a motivator to continue to have some discipline.

Zeke, Based on his reported training, I thought Lance would go out at 3:00 pace and slow to at least 3:10.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home