Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Weekend Recap

I had a great Easter weekend. Our family trip to San Diego was fun, we got to see a lot of family, and we drove up the California coast on the way home, which was a beautiful drive. From a running standpoint, it was less than I had hoped for, but it was worth it.

As mentioned in the previous post, I didn’t run on Friday. With a long drive ahead of me, I felt a good night’s sleep was more important than waking up early and running a few miles. On Saturday, I ran around Lake Murray, which is less than a mile from my mom’s house. What a great place to run. There is a winding asphalt path that winds around the curves of the lake. There are bathrooms and drinking water available. I would love to be able to run there all the time. On Easter I ended up bailing on my run. I was going to get up early and run before any family showed up. Instead, I slept in and ate breakfast. I was still planning on running before we ate Easter lunch. However, family showed up early, and I got sidetracked. Plus, we would be done eating by 2:30. I would still be able to run by 6:00 or so. Instead my aunt was rear-ended on her way to the house. My mom picked up my aunt and cousin from the emergency room (they’re fine except for soft tissue injuries). My cousin then went back home to get a cake, which they had forgotten at home the first time the left the house (we had cake because it was also my nephew’s birthday.) So what happened was that we all ate at 2:00, and then we all ate dessert at 5:00. From that point on, I just sat around resting my overly full stomach.

Monday was a long day. My wife and I were up at 3:30 a.m. so that we could get on the road and get through Los Angeles before the rush hour traffic. As I mentioned, we decided to take the drive up the coast, which was beautiful. However, the coastal route extended our trip from 8 hours to 11 hours. By the time we got home at 3:00 p.m. I was toast. However, after a short nap, I did get out for 8 easy miles. I ended up sleeping for ten hours last night.

What I ended up with is 8 miles on Saturday and 8 miles on Monday. I don’t really have a plan for the rest of the week. I’m just about to head out for Tuesday’s run. I’m off from work all week, so I’ll try to get in a few doubles throughout the week, but I haven’t set a mileage goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home