Thursday, February 02, 2006

Listen to the Body; Sometimes You Don't Have a Choice

This evening I ran 13 miles at an easy pace. I had planned to push the pace for the last five miles (like I run most medium-long or long run), but I quickly realized that Sunday's marathon pace run and Tuesday's repeats took more out of me than I realized. After one mile at a faster pace, I knew I had to slow back to an easy pace if I wanted to finish the run.

Not to look too far ahead, but I've been thinking about what marathons I'll run for the rest of 2006. The first step is the Napa Valley Marathon on March 5. I was hoping to run Bayshore on May 27, but I don't think I'll be able to justify the expense of the trip. An alternate plan is to drive up to Oregon and run the Newport Marathon on June 3 or drive south to San Diego and run the Rock 'n Roll Marathon on June 4. The San Diego trip would be less expensive because we could stay with family. On the other hand, the Newport trip would be a great chance for all of us to get away and enjoy the beautiful scenery through northern California and Oregon. I've been in Northern California but haven't really seen Oregon (crossed the border by a foot or so once just to say I've been there). I guess I'll just wait until April or early May and see if the finances can handle the more expensive trip. Either way, I'm probably going to basically train through the June marathon. I'll build a mileage base from late March through May, taper for a week, run the marathon and then figure out a training plan for a fall marathon and a potential shot at a sub-3:00.

One thing I'm fairly certain of is that I'll use a fairly unstructured training plan. A weekend long run, a midweek medium-long run, some tempo runs, some marathon pace runs, and easy runs and recovery runs to fill out the schedule. Looking at the previous sentence, it doesn't look too unstructured. I don't know what I'll do. I'll figure it out sometime in May or June.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home