Monday, November 14, 2005

Pushing the Pace

After a short recovery run on Saturday, I decided to push the pace a bit on Sunday. My schedule called for a 14 mile medium-long run. Usually, I run these workouts at approximately 8:10 minute/mile pace until I have five miles to go (per my schedule). At that point, I pick up the pace to 7:40 m/m pace or faster. On Sunday, I ran the first nine miles at an average of 7:35 pace. With five miles to go, I lowered the pace to between 7:20 and 7:30 a mile, and then ran the last mile at goal race pace, 7:00 m/m. It was a tough workout, and my legs are a bit tired today (Monday). Fortunately for me, Monday is my off day. Now it's Monday night, and I'm feeling pretty good. The tiredness and stiffness from earlier in the day is gone. I honestly don't know if running harder on Sunday was wise or not. I just feel like I need at least one longer run a week where I'm working for the entire run. The 8:10 pace is pretty easy, and I'm running these workouts without having to give thought to pace or effort. Unless the harder run starts to effect my other runs, I'll continue to push the pace when I'm feeling good.

Tomorrow will probably be my toughest run of the training period so far. I'm scheduled for ten miles, with five of the miles at 6:40 m/m pace. I'll feel more confident if I can run these workouts in daylight. I've decided to take my workout gear to the office and run immediately after work. It will end up being a race against sunset.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home