Friday, November 04, 2005

Stupid is as Stupid Does

After running long on Monday, which is my normal off day, I was scheduled to run nine miles on Tuesday, with four of those miles at a tempo pace (see the previous post if you want more information on how my schedule got off kilter). I figured my legs would be tired on Tuesday, and I'd end up running at marathon pace at best. However, I didn't feel too bad , so I did the scheduled workout, including the tempo miles. It was tough, but I made it through on pace (6:40 m/m for the tempo miles).

The bad news is that on Wednesday, I ended up skipping my scheduled 14-mile run. My legs were sore, so I listened to my body for once. On Thursday, my legs still didn't feel too good, but they were more tired then sore, so I ran my 14 miler. It was tough, but I got the miles in. I was totally out of energy at the end of Thursday's run and was dreading Friday's 12 miler.

The good news is that after a mile or two warmup, I felt pretty good on Friday. I ran the entire run at an easy pace. My schedule calls for me to run the last five miles of my long and medium-long runs at 7:42 m/m pace (10% over goal marathon pace), which is between 18-28 seconds slower then I run the first part of these runs. On Thursday and Friday, I did not have the energy to speed up. After today's run, I only have an easy recovery run tomorrow. Based on how I felt today, I'm confident that if I have the discipline to run at a recovery pace, I'll feel rested for Sunday's long run. Another positive for me is that I did get a lot of sleep this week, which I'm sure helped my recovery process between these fairly tough runs.

The reason that I titled this post Stupid is as Stupid Does is so that when I go back and review my training, I want this entry to be a reminder that I have a schedule for a reason. And if I miss a run, I need to learn not to cram and try to make up the miles. It's more important to trust the schedule over the long haul and not stress over one workout. I will end up getting in my scheduled miles this week, but I certainly could have been more productive if I had concentrated on key workouts and not just chased the miles.

One last thing. I can't wait until this Halloween candy is gone. Chocolate has become my primary food group since Monday. Speaking of candy, vanilla Charleston Chews are delicious!

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

have you ever tried strawberry or chocolate? heaven.

gl with running :)

11:49 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

by strawberry or chocolate I meant charleston chews, of course. hehe.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

I've eaten a lot of the chocolate Charleston Chews. They're great. However, I was surprised to find that I like the vanilla ones even more. I think Charleston Chews is the only product where I prefer vanilla to chocolate.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home