Friday, November 11, 2005

Training Plan Update

I'm glad I decided to follow a tried and true marathon plan. It will be three years between marathons, and during this period I've run a number of half marathons and shorter races. For each of these, I've developed my own plan based on goal races. However, following Pfitzinger-Douglas has been a different feeling. I've done well on my races over the past couple of years, but this is the first plan I've had where I feel I'm maximizing my efforts. Each week, I'll get to a point where my legs are tired, and I'm ready for a break; and it'll be time for a recovery run. After each recovery run, I feel ready for whatever is next on the schedule. This week was a perfect example. After Tuesday's and Wednesday's runs, I was ready for a break. Thursday recovery run was perfect. I work my old watch (instead of my Garmin) and didn't look at it except at the start, the turnaround and the finish. I didn't want to be tempted to run faster than my body was ready to run, and it worked perfect. It was probably my slowest run in a while, but I felt great during today's medium-long run.

After finishing this plan and completing my race, I need to show that I have the ability to learn and use an established plan for future training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home