Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's all about precision, not speed

Today our Morale, Welfare and Recreation office held a three-mile Turkey Trot on base. The winner was based on who guessed closest to his/her finishing time. As far as the race went, I was the first person to finish the race. My time was 18:44. However, my guess was 19:45. I thought that after running 21 miles on Sunday, I would be a bit fatigued and wouldn't be able to run as fast as I did, which is why I guessed relatively low.

The "winner" of the race guessed within 10 seconds of his finishing time. After he received his prize, he said, "It's all about precision, not speed." About halfway through the race I was pretty sure that I was ahead of schedule, but I decided that I'd rather be fast. In addition to gift certificates for the three closest guesses, there was a drawing for other prizes. As it turned out, I was the first one to cross the finish line, and the last one to have his number drawn to select a prize.

The good news is that my hamstring, which had been sore since Sunday's long run, felt great during the Turkey Trot. I've been icing it, and that has really helped. I'll continue to ice it through the weekend. If I run Sunday's long run without any pain, I'll stop and consider myself healed. The other good news is that I'm pleased with my time in the Turkey Trot. Today's time for three miles is only 29 seconds faster than my 5K PR, and I certainly could have run faster, especially if I were rested. I'm excited to race a 5K at the end of December and see how I can do in a race with some competition.

My schedule called for six miles in the morning and four miles in the afternoon/evening with both runs at recovery pace. I reversed it; with a warmup I ran four miles early and six at recovery pace in the early evening. Tomorrow I have a medium long run scheduled.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home