Sunday, October 16, 2005

Reading, Visualization and Self Hypnosis

Today I ran a 20 miles. This run got me over the hump with regards to long runs. In July I ran my first long run of 20 miles in preparation for a fall marathon. However, injuries prevented me from racing this fall (by the way, today would have been race day). Since the first 20 miler in July up to and including today's run, I've gone 20 miles six times. My schedule calls for five more 20 milers, so six down and five to go.

While running today I was thinking about steps, other than running, that I could take to me help prepare for the marathon. Obviously eating well and getting enough sleep are the first two. Anyway, the way this thought began is when I finally admitted to myself that reading about running theory and training bores me. I love books about runners and the feats that they've achieved--both fiction and non-fiction. I find them inspiring and motivating as hell. However, books about the best marathon training plans just don't interest me. Even after admitting this, I wondered if since I'm following a Pfitzinger-Douglas training plan, would it help me to read their book. You know, will knowing why I'm doing this particular training make the training more effective? I decided that I'm definitely not going to buy the book. However, if I can find it at the library (or for a cheap price at next week's library used book sale), I'll give it a shot. Otherwise I'll read the relatively short online article, and train the best I can.

Anyway, I was also thinking about other methods to improve athletic performance. The two that came to mind were visualization and self-hypnosis. I don't really know much about them (they may be the same thing), but I figured it wouldn't hurt to do an online search and see if either or both look promising. Although I've only started week two of my training, this is the most serious training program I've been on in preparing for a race. I want to be sure that I do all that I can to perform my best on race day. Either that or I'm getting race fever waaaaaay too early in the program.

Today's run went well. I was hurting around miles 12-14, but once I got to a drinking fountain and got some water in me, I felt much better. The last five miles at 7:42 pace (or a little better), weren't too bad except for the third mile, which was into a slight wind. Rest day tomorrow and then the first speed workout on Tuesday.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bart,

I got Advanced Marathoning last year and still occasionally pull it out. I thought Pfitzinger and Douglas did a great job with the why's of the training. If you decide not to get the book, some of the same content is in the training articles on his web site
www.pfitzinger.com
I enjoyed his approach to using exercise physiology while explaining it in an interesting way.

3:15 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks for the comments. I don't mind spending a few bucks for the book. My concern is that after buying it, I won't read it. I checked out a training book by Jack Daniels from the library, and I just couldn't get into it.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home