Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Working on Form

I've been having a good week. Mileage wise I'm in the mid-30 range, and my paces have been quicker than in previous weeks. The big difference is that I've been concentrating on my form each time I run. My posture is better, and I'm better at pushing myself forward when my foot leaves the ground. My main problem is that I'm still struggling to bring it all together. It seems like I can either run tall with my hips forward, or I can push forward with each stride. The key is doing them both together. When I am able to get it together, I can feel the difference: I run smoother, my pace is faster, and it feels almost effortless. For now I'm going to keep on working on making proper form feel more natural so that I can nail it each time I lace them up.

Today at lunch I decided to run 7.5 miles, including 3 miles at goal marathon pace (6:50). I was able to run the pace miles. In fact I ran them too fast, averaging 6:38 for these three miles. I noticed that it's easier to maintain form when pushing the pace a bit. I think this is because at a faster pace, pushing forward is a more natural motion for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home