Friday, March 17, 2006

Running Sick, Marathon Planning, and Possible Move

Yesterday I had a good run. I ran just over five miles at work. I work on a small island in San Francisco Bay (between Oakland and Alameda). One lap around the island is approximately 1.3 miles. I ran four laps, plus a little more to get to and from the running trail. It was my first run since the marathon where I naturally maintained a sub-8:00 mile/min pace. The bad news is that I have all but completely lost my voice. I’ve been coughing for over a week, and my voice finally gave out. Part of me is saying I should stop running and let my body heal; however, I’m feeling pretty good, so I think I’ll give it a couple more days. If my voice isn’t back by Sunday or Monday, I may have to take a few days off from running.

I should log a little over 30 miles this week, and I’m hoping to build up to the 50 mile range next week. After that I’m going to start thinking about my next marathon training cycle. I believe I was successful at Napa Valley Marathon because I had a long training program and averaged more miles per week than I ever have. However, before entering the training program, I didn’t really have a base-building period where I just ran a lot of miles without paying too much attention to pace. By planning for an October marathon in March, I’ll have enough time to build mileage through April and May. This way, my highest mileage weeks won’t be at a time when I’m also trying to add speed to my program. If I’m successful in the build-up, the structured training program, and in my efforts to get down to 190 pounds, I’ll be in prime position to make a run at a sub-3 hour marathon.

One other thing. I found out that I’ll be advancing to Chief Petty Officer this year, and it was looking like I would have to transfer. However, it turns out that the jobs for the 2006 assignment year have been sent out, and I didn’t get one. What this means is that there’s a good chance that I’ll get to stay here for another year. I was hesitant to make any marathon plans for the fall because I thought I was going to get transferred to a ship. Now that the transfer plans may be off, I’ll assume I’m staying here and train accordingly. Of course if someone else’s transfer falls through, I may be called to fill their job. Oh well, such is life for those of us in the military.

4 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Congrats on getting your khakis. That's awesome.

Holy cow, 190 lbs. I hope you're about 6' 6" tall.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I guess I'm assuming that Coast Guard CPO's wear khakis like the Navy CPO's.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Bart said...

Thanks for the congrats. No khakis for the Coast Guard. We all wear the same blue uniforms from the rawest recruit all the way up to the Commandant. All I'll need to change will be my collar devices and the patch on my dress jacket.

I'm 6'3" and currently weigh around 205.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

205!? Now I'm even more amazed by your 3:06.

4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home