Saturday, February 11, 2006

Last Week Before Taper

Today I will wrap up the last week of training before entering my taper. I will run a slow, recovery 5 miles this morning. It is important that I make an effort to run this pace at a slow recovery pace (notice a theme as I convince myself to run easy and not chase the clock?). Based on how tired my legs were last night, this shouldn’t be a problem, but if I push the pace at all today, tomorrow’s 20 miler will be hell. I don’t need to carry the doubt associated with a crappy long run through my taper. I’ve had a lot of great training runs lately. After tomorrow, I need nothing but positive thinking as race day gets closer. Since Tuesday, I’ve run 11 miles (a 6.5 and 4.5 double), 11 miles with 6, .75 mile repeats at 5K pace, 14 miles, and 8 miles with 6 X 100 meter repeats. I’ve had tired legs after each of these days but have recovered well and have felt good as I entered the next run. Last night the cumulative effect of a hard week had my legs tired, and they’re still a bit tired today. Pardon my rambling, I didn’t have a plan when I started writing this paragraph; I just wanted to capture how I’m feeling physically and mentally as I finish my last pre-taper training week.

I finally registered for the Napa Valley Marathon last night. I had been putting it off because I had already missed the early registration price and had no incentive to give up my money sooner rather than later. However, yesterday I saw on their website that they often fill up by now, so I figured I’d better get on the ball and register. I realize that the statement about filling up may be put on all marathon websites just to encourage people like me to register instead of waiting, but I didn’t want to take a chance. I really had put it off long enough. Plus, I’ve had two other marathons fill up while I was procrastinating – the Bizz Johnson Marathon in October and the Pacific Shoreline Marathon, which was run last Sunday. I think missing those two marathons was ultimately a good thing. I feel much stronger with the extra training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home