Sunday, December 18, 2005

Am I Injured

Earlier today, I noticed that I was getting a strange pain in my right knee. It was sort of a dull, throbbing pain that would come and go. It didn't hurt much and didn't reduce my range of motion. Plus it only seemed to bother me when I was sitting. I had no problem moving around the house or going up and down the stairs, so I headed out on my scheduled 22-mile run without much concern. However, during the run, the pain got worse, and I felt it more frequently. I timed the duration between the pain a couple of times. The pain came back within as little as ten seconds and another time there was close to a three minute space between when I felt it.

For the most part I was fine, but at points during the run, I would get a pain in the knee plus a sort of numbness down my leg. It's hard to explain but basically whenever this happened, I felt like I couldn't use the leg other than to prevent myself from falling. It felt wooden for a couple of steps. It was like a crutch that prevented me from falling, but couldn't provide any thrust to move me forward. I ended up stopping my run at ten miles. The pain is worse after my run, then it was this morning, and it is more frequent. However, it still comes and goes rather than a constant pain.

I'm going to spend tonight and tomorrow treating it with the RICE method and hoping for the best. I'll try not to run on it until the pain goes away -- if I can be that patient.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

This sucks. Any update on the situation?

9:45 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Zeke, the good news is that after some soreness on Monday, my knee felt great on Tuesday and Wednesday. The bad news is that I woke up feeling like crap Tuesday morning. I was all stuffed up, had body aches, etc. As a result I haven't run since Sunday. I'm better today than I was yesterday, so I'm hoping to run an easy few miles tomorrow. After my next run, I'll post an entry and share how my knee handled it, since that's the biggest concern. I'm sure the cold will go away soon.

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home