Sunday, May 06, 2007

Weekly Update

Sunday – 8 miles, was supposed to be 20, but I just didn’t have any energy
Monday – 20 miles, including last five at marathon pace (7:00 min/miles) – Good run
Tuesday – Rest Day
Wednesday – 10 miles, including four half mile repeats at 6:00 pace (tempo run was scheduled, but 20+ mph winds put an end to that)
Thursday – 8 recovery miles
Friday – 15 easy miles – Another good run
Saturday – 10 easy miles
TOTAL: 71 miles

Today was supposed to be 17 miles, including 14 at marathon pace. However, since I’m not happy with the base I started this training cycle with and considering that I haven’t gone over 10 miles at marathon pace, I was shooting for 12 miles at pace, and then would see how I felt. The weather was hot for this area (over 80 degrees), but I still went ahead with the schedule. The first seven miles went okay. The wind was light today and was only a factor in a few spots – where buildings would create sort of a wind tunnel. Anyway after the first seven miles at pace (nine miles into the run), I started to struggle a bit. I logged a couple of miles over 7:00 minutes, but was still under pace because of a cushion I had built up in the first few miles. At this point, I hit the turning point of the out and back and got what wind there was at my back and managed to stay on pace for 10 and a half miles (12 miles total), but I was done. I had only stopped once for water and that was at the 5 mile mark. Seven hot miles later, I stopped for more water and ended my miles at MP. I ran slowly for another half mile or so to the next water fountain, got another drink, and decided to call it a day. I finished with 14 miles, including 10.5 at MP (pace was based on a 3:00 marathon).

I have four weeks until the Rock and Roll Marathon, and quite honestly I’m not near ready to run to my potential. While my heart wants to go for sub-3 and see what happens, my head knows that I’m not ready. My PR pace is 7:07. My plan at this point is to go out at 7:00 pace and hope I can go the distance and land a PR.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home