Sunday, April 22, 2007

A Good Week in the Books

Sunday – 20 miles
Monday – 0 miles
Tuesday – 10 miles, including two miles at 6:30 pace
Wednesday – 7.5 miles at recovery pace
Thursday – 15 miles, including 10 at goal MP
Friday – 8 miles at recovery pace
Saturday – 7.5 easy miles
WEEKLY TOTAL: 68 Miles

Overall a good week. I hit all of my mileage totals. The only bump in the schedule was on Tuesday when I didn’t hit my goal pace. I was schedule for ten miles, including five miles at 6:30 pace. The problem is that the wind was blowing at 30 mph, with gusts up to 39 mph. Obviously the smart thing would have been to either run by effort or just log the miles without worrying about the faster miles. Instead, I ran on the street behind the golf course, trying to hide from the wind. While the wind wasn’t as bad there, it was still blowing pretty good; and even though it was mostly from the side, it did make the pace tougher. Anyway, I managed two miles at 6:30 pace, but after that I had to stop running. For a minute I thought I was going to hurl. Instead I just suffered through a coughing fit and then finished the run without worrying about pace or effort. Thursday’s 15 miles, with 10 at goal pace were encouraging. This time Mother Nature cooperated with what was probably the least windy day of the week, although it was still blowing fairly good along the bay. As an example of how hard the wind has been blowing lately, during Saturday’s run, I saw a small waterspout on the bay. It was only about 8-10 feet high and wasn’t dangerous; but it was blowing straight towards me, and when it hit the seawall, it gave me a pretty good misting.

I started this week off well, with a 17 mile run that including 10 miles at goal pace. The wind was tougher today. I really need to learn to run more by effort and not worry so much about hitting the right pace all the time. A major part of these MP runs is to get the body used to what race pace should feel like. If I’m running harder than normal because of the wind and then running too fast when the wind is at my back, I’m defeating the purpose. Let’s face it; if the wind is blowing as hard on race day as it has been blowing here lately, I’m not going to be anywhere near my goal race pace when I cross the finish line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home