Saturday, October 14, 2006

Weekly Recap and Training Thoughts

Weekly Recap

Sunday – 17 miles, including 14 miles at goal marathon pace
Monday – scheduled off day
Tuesday – 6 miles, cut workout short
Wednesday – off day, fell asleep instead of running
Thursday – 10 easy miles
Friday – off day, fell asleep instead of running
Saturday – 7 easy miles
TOTAL: 40 miles

It became clear to me during my run today that I needed to build a bigger base for the training plan I set up. After running the Napa Valley Marathon the first weekend in March, I recovered and ran nothing but easy runs for the rest of the month. In April and May I built my mileage up to the point where I logged three 80 mile weeks. I started a training plan which built up to 80-mile weeks with speed workouts included. I did well during the first two thirds of the plan, when most of the speed work was done in weeks that topped out in the mid-60 mile range, and the 80-mile weeks consisted mostly of slower, longer runs. However, the last two weeks that crossed 80-mile mark included faster runs, and I ended up taking three days off the following week. This past week I was tired all the time. I realize that the mileage from the previous week wasn’t the only reason. I didn’t sleep real well during the first part of the week, and as always I could have done better with my diet. But I think the bottom line is that my training plan is calling for more than my base will allow me to give.

I don’t necessarily think this is a bad thing. Over the last few months I’ve run more miles than I’ve run in preparation for any race in my life. I’ve run a lot of high-quality workouts. I ran a PR in the 10K. And I’m confident that I’m in shape to PR in my race on 29 October. Tomorrow I’m running 8 miles at half marathon pace (or at least that’s the goal), and then I’m starting my taper. Even though I didn’t complete the training as I laid it out, I feel like I pushed the envelope and ran as well as I could based on the fitness level with which I entered the training cycle. If things go well tomorrow, I’ll shoot for sub-1:25 on October 29. If not, I’ll adjust as necessary but will still be shooting for a PR.

I’m looking forward to running hard tomorrow and then refreshing my body over the next couple of weeks. Although I haven’t received official confirmation that I wasn’t selected for the Navy Marathon team, I’ve realized that the writing is on the wall. The race is in two weeks. Surely, if I had been selected, I would have received notification by now. So unless I hear otherwise, my attention is on the Grape Stomp Half Marathon.

2 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

I am looking to read about you breaking the Top Ten at Grape Stomp. This must be in wine country?

6:18 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

Based on last year's times if I reach my goal, a top ten finish is definitely doable. My goal time would have put me 7th in last year's race.

This race is in Livermore. They do produce wine there and consider themselves wine country. However, it's not in the Napa area or what is traditionally though of as wine country. Livermore is southeast of Oakland, probably about 60 miles from Napa.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home