Thursday, February 16, 2006

Ouch!

On Tuesday I ran seven easy miles. During this run, I stepped on what may be the sharpest rock in the world. I felt a sharp pain when I stepped on it and a dull pain for the rest of that run. All through Tuesday night and Wednesday, I felt pain from the resulting bruise every time I took a step with my right foot. As it turned out I didn't run my 12 miler on Wednesday -- not because of the rock. I got involved in some family stuff and doing a favor for a friend and didn't want to start my run at 7:30 p.m. and then be awake until after midnight.

As a result of missing yesterday's run, I decided to run the 12 miles today instead of the 5 or 6 mile recovery run that was on my schedule. I figured that since I'm in my taper, I could just run the longer run today, the normal recovery run on Friday and blow off the other shorter run. I was rested and ready to run after work. I hit my first mile a little faster than normal and was feeling good, so I decided that a mile at goal marathon pace couldn't hurt. The better I get at recognizing the desired pace the better off I'll be on race day. This turned out to be a mistake. After approximately 1/20th of a mile, I turned a corner to run along the bay, and the wind hit me square in the face. However, I continued my marathon pace mile. The problem was that I upped the effort a bit to overcome the wind. Also I didn't check my Garmin this entire mile. I want to get to where I can feel the correct pace. I ended up running the mile at 6:50 pace (goal is 7:00 pace). If you factor in a relatively strong wind, I would guess that I ran close to 6:40 effort, which is okay for one mile. However, I did pay for it later. After 7 or 8 miles, my legs were much more tired than they should have been after an easy week up to this point.

To make matters worse, somewhere near the 9.5 mile mark, the dull pain from my rock bruise started to really hurt. It got steadily worse up to the 10-mile mark and just hurt like hell for the last two miles. I'm going to run a recovery run tomorrow and see how the bruise on my foot is doing. If it's still painful, I may take Saturday off. I'm in my taper now. I'd rather lose of few miles here than do something stupid and not feel 100% on March 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home