Saturday, November 04, 2006

Shortcomings

After my last post, Mark asked me if I had done any cross training during my recovery. The short answer is no. The longer answer is that I had planned to, but I was enjoying doing nothing but relax for a few days.

His question got me thinking about my shortcomings as a runner and what I need to do if I truly want to reach my potential. There are three major things that I need to work on if I want to continue to improve: diet/nutrition, hill running, and cross training.

I started running basically to keep a buddy company while he trained for a 10K. The reason I continued running was because I like to eat, and I needed to lose a few pounds. Running allowed me to lose the weight without dieting. Like many runners I evolved from running for weight control to running to compete. I've tried to cutback on the calories a few times but haven't found the willpower while married to a wife who loves to cook and bake.

I'm not sure what to do about running hills. I live in the Bay Area (in Alameda, which is near Oakland in the east bay). There are 100s of hills in the metropolitan area, but not in Alameda, which is a flat-as-a-pancake island. I could drive to the Oakland hills or to Berkeley to run hills, but I hate the thought of driving someplace to run. It seems to defeat the whole purpose.

I don't know why I don't do any cross training. If I did, it would only be crunches and push ups, which I could do while watching television. I understand the benefit, but it's also easy to look at my log and the mileage being run and feel satisfied that the work has been done.

Will I improve in any of these three areas? I don't know. I'm going to make an effort to drop some weight. I've said that before on this very blog and have had no success, but all I can do is keep trying. I find that a lot of my bad eating is just habit. If I can improve for a week or so, I'll have a good shot at sticking with it for a while. I'm also going to make an effort to get in some crunches and push ups. Again it's just getting into a routine. Once it becomes part of my day, it won't be a big deal. Right now I don't see me doing any hill running. I know the reasons that I should, but the driving would add close to an hour to my workout each time I did it, and I'm not ready to make that commitment right now.

Today I ran six easy miles. I ran without a watch, but would estimate that I ran 8:20 pace.

2 Comments:

Blogger MB said...

Most branches of the military have PT test, CG? I would think so, isn't that motivation enought to bust out the crunches and push-ups on a daily basis? even if you start with a few a day, it's like you wrote in how you started to run.

Then, soon it will be regular habit, you will be glsd because it will bring your race times down

6:10 AM  
Blogger Bart said...

There's no PT test for the CG. All we are required to do is meet a maximum weight or maximum body fat standard. The exception being for those assigned as rescue swimmers, boarding team members, or in similar jobs.

I think I'll just include the push-ups and crunches in my blog and see if that will help motivate me. I'll also post my weekly weight. Maybe some it will give me a sense of accountability.

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home