Saturday, August 27, 2005

Medium Long Run & Longest Week

This afternoon I ran a ten mile run. I pushed the pace a little on a couple of miles just to see how it would feel. I've been taking it easy this week due to a slightly pulled/strained muscle in my groin and lower abdomen. Today I felt pretty good, so I ran a couple of miles slightly faster (around 7:30 pace). It felt good to press a bit. Even though I still have some pain, and I take a long time to warm up; I'm confident that I'm moving in the right direction.

Next week, after a long warmup, I'll run some miles at marathon goal pace. I'll also continue treating the muscle by alternating ice and heat. If all goes well; the following week, I'll resume my normal training.

I ran over 63 miles this week. I believe this is the most miles I've ever run in a week. Despite the relative high mileage, I feel pretty good, since I ran everything so easy. The next couple of weeks should be at or near the same mileage, although the effort will be slightly higher. If memory serves me correctly, I have only four weeks until I begin tapering for my marathon!