Friday, August 19, 2005

Mid-Long Marathon Paced Run

Within the past day or so, I've decided to change my training plan. I'm basically going to stick with three main workouts--long runs, tempo runs, and mid-long marathon pace runs--with an easy run in between each workout. Today I ran ten miles, with seven miles at goal marathon pace. Over the next five weeks, I'll build this up to twelve mile runs with ten at marathon pace.

Today's run was okay. I'm still having trouble adjusting to the wind. With the wind at my back, it was (obviously) fairly easy to run at goal marathon pace. Coming back (obviously, again) it was tougher with the wind in my face. What I need to learn is how to make the effort the same for both directions so that going with the wind I'm a bit faster than goal pace and coming back I'm a bit slower, with the average equaling goal pace. I was able to average my marathon goal pace for the entire seven miles, but the effort was way too uneven. Tomorrow will be an easy five mile run and then I'll do my third 20-mile run on Sunday.